Gmail Gets a New Look
Gmail Lab has been continuously releasing new features from last couple of months, most of these feature are aim towards increasing productivity as well as making gmail a best webmail service. Here is another great feature from gmail team, updates to contacts and slightly new look for gmail.
As per official Gmail Blog :
We’re constantly reviewing user feedback about Gmail, and for a while now the number one request has been for a better contacts experience. You’ve asked us to generally make Contacts easier to use, as well as for specific improvements like sorting by last name, keyboard shortcuts, and custom labels for phone numbers. So, by popular request, we’re happy to announce that an overhauled version of Gmail Contacts will be rolling out today.
New look for gmail :
- Mail, Contacts, and Tasks links have moved to the top left of Gmail.
- Compose mail is now a button rather than a link.
- A smaller header area puts the first message in your inbox about 16 pixels higher on the screen.
- The Select All, None, Read, Unread, and Starred links that used to be above your messages are now options in a drop-down menu, next to the Archive button.
Updates to Contacts ::
- Contacts work a lot more like Mail. Keyboard shortcuts now work in Contacts too, and we’ve made selecting and grouping contacts more like selecting and labeling email.
- Sort contacts by last name. Look under More actions for this option.
- Use custom labels for phone numbers and other fields. For example, you can label a phone number as “Vacation home.” Please be aware, ActiveSync for iPhone and Blackberry Sync don’t yet support custom labels so custom labeled numbers/emails/etc. may not appear on your phone.
- Undo. Now, when you make changes to your contacts, you can undo your recent changes.
- Automatic saving. You no longer need to worry about “edit” mode or “view” mode — just edit away and Gmail will save your changes.
This feature has been used by Gmail internally at Google for quite a while. If you have any questions regarding this new feature feel free to ask me or else you can join the Gmail Group Labs Help offline.