Top 10 Tips For Speeding Up a Computer
There are many frustrations surrounding having a slow computer. The following tips will aid in how to manage a computer’s performance. These tips will help in getting the best possible results from any personal computer.
10 Tips for Increasing a Computer Speed
1. Get rid of all spyware on your computer : This is a little hard to do because they are not always clear until they cause viruses. Spyware secretly collects information from every website the user visits. This mix of information can include important personal information such as passwords, user names and even credit card numbers if it is malicious enough. The collected information often goes unnoticed and in the wrong hands can mean trouble.
There are many ways to protect ones computer from spyware; free scans and free removal software are one way, but be wary.Only take free software from a reputable company and even so research customer review boards first. Some free spyware scans and software removal tools are spyware themselves, set by malicious people. It is always better to buy spyware, that way your computer will be safe. The removal of spyware will have any computer running like new.
2. Partition the computer’s hard drive : A partitioned hard drive operates by “short stroking” or moving within shorter distances to find data on the hard drive. When a large-sized hard drive becomes partitioned, the information on the newly portioned discs is now compacted on each disc. This means that when the user searches for something on one disc it is easily accessible and as a result the computer moves faster. To partition a hard drive, download partitioning software.
3. Defragment the computer’s hard drive : Computers store a lot of information on in a fragmented format on their hard drives. When stored in this format, the computer takes a longer time to find the information and this slows down its performance. Defragmenting brings the information closer together on the disc and helps to cut the time taken to search for information.
4. Increase disk space : Removing old files, clearing the cache and emptying the recycle bin are just a few ways to increase any computer’s speed. These do not take up a lot of space on a hard drive individually but overtime they can end up being the responsible party for slowing a PC’s performance.
5. Do not allow programs to run when the computer starts up. The only exception is an antivirus software.
6. Remove wallpapers, especially those that are not stationery. Wallpapers take up unnecessary space that can slow the computers performance.
7. Close programs when not in use or minimize them. Opened programs that are not being used still take a lot of memory to run them. When minimized that memory reduces and speeds up the computer’s performance.
8. Use wireless internet that operates at 3G or 4G speeds. This will help to increase the computers performance and decrease loading and wait times.
9. Avoid animations where possible. These only take up space to run them and have not benefit to a computer’s performance.
10. Upgrade to a new operating system. Windows 7 is the fastest yet and will have any old computer running like new. Check to see if your computer is compatible with windows 7.
Improving the performance of any computer requires the care of its users. Computers will only function like new when they are, so it is essential to know that their performance will slow down somewhat. To avoid too much slowing, use the tips given above and practice safe computing.
Always use an antivirus software before using the internet of accessing information from other sources on any computer.