How to Use Winterboard iPhone App
WinterBoard is an app created by Cydia that runs on the iPhone and allows you to use pre-made or customized themes and elements on your iPhone; the WinterBoard app is a free, open source app that substitutes for the well-known SummerBoard app that has to be paid for.
If you have the money to spend, you can go ahead and try out the SummerBoard app; however if you want the features without the added cost, WinterBoard offers all the features of SummerBoard as well as some additional effects and it’s free, so if you decide to use it to customize your iPhone but you’re not quite sure of what you need to do, here are some guidelines to make the process easier.
- First it should be noted that if you have a locked iPhone with factory settings on it, you will not be able to use WinterBoard on it; WinterBoard will only run on your iPhone if it has been “˜jail-broken’ so you will have to get that done before you can use the app, or you’ll have to do without. There are sites online that offer a walk through on jail-breaking the phone yourself or you can have it professionally done if would rather not try it yourself.
- If you have an unlocked iPhone, head to the Cydia website and download the WinterBoard app; once the app is downloaded you will need to restart the phone by holding the power button down and sliding the “˜power off’ slider when it appears. Turn the phone off and then turn it back on to continue the installation.
- When the phone comes back up, tap the WinterBoard icon to open it; you can now play around with some of the built-in themes and familiarize yourself with the app or you can go back to the website and download custom themes instead. If you choose the second option, tap the Cydia tab which should be on your main screen and once it comes up, tap Sections and go through the list of available theme folders and themes until you find the one you want to try; install the theme, open the WinterBoard app and deselect everything except the theme you want to use and exit the app. You should now see the theme displayed on your main page. To choose another theme all you have to do is reopen the WinterBoard app and select the new theme, then deselect the first theme; if you want no theme at all, deselect all the check-marked apps.
TIPS AND WARNINGS
- You can use multiple themes at the same time if you wish; simply open WinterBoard Iphone Application and select a second theme while leaving the first one selected.
- Do not attempt to jailbreak your phone yourself unless you are absolutely certain of what to do as you can cause problems with the phone if you do not do it correctly.
- Jail-breaking your iPhone voids the warranty on it, so you will have to decide for yourself if the customization is worth giving up your warranty.